Transition Achievement Program
10/22/21
Adapted Physical Activity has been a huge part of my life recently and this past semester has turned me into a huge advocate for it. Adapted Physical Activity (APA) is a form of modified physical activity, it allows a person with limitations to participate in physical activity that they otherwise wouldn't be able to participate in. I am currently minoring in Adapted, and considering continuing into the masters program for adapted. This semester (and hopefully in future semesters) I am participating as a volunteer in the Transition Achievement Program through Slippery Rock University. The Transition Achievement Program (TAP) gets high school kids with disabilities ready for life outside of of high school. They work at a job on or near campus, take a class in the morning, go to a physical activity session, and attend a nutrition lesson right before lunch. I volunteer during physical activity and nutrition. Working with this group of students has been life changing for me. I worked with the adapted class in my high school and did a bit of TAP with Dr. Young in her intro to adapted physical activity class on zoom. However, this is the first time I have been with the students enough to make a genuine connection with them. TAP is a great opportunity to get involved and make the most out of getting experience if you are interested in working with the population that has disabilities. These kids are so much fun to be around, and teach me a lot. I can not wait for my future and will be sad but proud to see these students go.
As a mentor for one of the students in TAP I completely agree. TAP is an amazing opportunity for the students to get ready for their life beyond the classrooms. I never really knew about how different people's disabilities effect them in different ways. This has been a program I enjoy more and more. It is amazing that they have their own on campus job as well to show them what it is truly like in the real world and how to support themselves in a way. I believe everyone should volunteer for the program for one semester at least.
ReplyDeleteThat makes me really happy that you are so passionate about that. I wish I had that passion right now. Like I do, but my mental state is not the greatest right now. I hope to look into programs like TAP someday. I have heard great things about it since my Freshman year, but never had the time to do it. Anyways, I just wanted to say, I think it's really nice that you found that connection with the kids...it is sometimes a hard thing to do. It's also a beautiful sight to see when a kid with special needs/disabilities is heard and seen. Makes my hear happy. <3
ReplyDelete